Thread: "In God We Trust" on Police Vehicles

"In God We Trust" on Police Vehicles

From Big Country Homepage:

http://www.bigcountryhomepage.com/ne...ement-vehicles

Another Texas town is joining the "In God We Trust" movement, and this time it's taking root right here at home.

Eastland City Commissioners held a meeting Monday night and voted unanimously to approve a notion to allow their local law enforcement vehicles to bear the phrase.

Ron Ducan, one of the commissioners who offered approval, says he supports the movement started by the Childress Police Department in north Texas because "In God We Trust" is a symbol of national law.

"Not doing anything wrong," Duncan asserts. "We are simply adopting our U.S. motto."

The stickers will be placed in the coming days. BigCountryHomepage will keep you updated.
    KTAB and KRBC will have more from Eastland tonight.
    Secretary,
    Harper Valley PTA

It should spread to the the State court system in Palo Pinto County where it is sorely needed.
    If a retired judge has no respect for the law & takes the law in his own hands, he is no better than a thief, a murderer or any other law breaker.

If the court system lets him get away with the dirty deed than they are no better than he.
    Last edited by mingus108; 10-26-2015 at 01:39 PM.

Just figured they would put go mavs or support your local hells angels, etc.
    The unmarked vehicles are no longer unmarked. We can spot them a mile off.
    Funny this is happening at election time.

Well, if it's good enough to put on our money, it's good enough to put on our cars.

Quote Originally Posted by charitabee View Post
    Well, if it's good enough to put on our money, it's good enough to put on our cars.
    Or the rearend of a two bit Palo Pinto County visiting State judge
    Last edited by mingus108; 10-27-2015 at 07:48 AM.

Is there a palopintospin.com?

Quote Originally Posted by Cecil View Post
    Is there a palopintospin.com?
    Yes the Mineral Wells Index but they allow no critics or criticism of law enforcement. Or judicial systems, false arrests, jail deaths. Crooked lawyers or judges.

Do they read the Eastland Spin?
    Walk softly and carry a big stick.

Quote Originally Posted by lamb View Post
    Do they read the Eastland Spin?
    If they want the truth it is the only place.

The Eastland article mentioned police vehicles only. Cisco's city council has approved placing the stickers on all city vehicles. Would that include the backhoes and weedeaters? No mention of one that says Go Loboes.

I know it would be rude not rank the Loboes right in there with God, some folks just don't appreciate the ranking of a good team.

Trying to decide the different places where God might want His name.

Everywhere.

Each person's idea of God might depend on how they were taught or what ideas they adopted for themselves. Mine is that my God would not want Him forced upon anyone, and should be voluntary.
    That's the problem I have with Republicans always forcing something on someone. Goes back to the Crusades and the Church forcing upon Arabs. So now we are paying for those transgressions. As well we should.
    So now Friday night football has transformed into a jihad holy war rooting for the home team. After seeing what a wreck religion in government has done to the Middle East, now we have it here in the local pd, fire dept soon to follow then the ambulances, thanks to the conservative thinking Republicans.
    Last edited by MiraculousMutha; 11-01-2015 at 10:48 AM.

The fighting has been going on forever, it is a waste of time to start worrying about it now.
    It was until Obama started to bring it to our shores, you might want to reflect a bit on this.

I'd forgot Obama was president on 9/11.

Aren't the Jihadist trying to force Islam onto the Christians? Oh, no, I forgot the Jihadist is intent on killing the Christians.

You have to wonder if the Muslim would be doing something different if we had treated them differently.

We could love ISIS into peace-loving-Christian-loving people?

Maybe we could teach ISIS the lyrics to Kumbaya and set around the campfire, nope don't think so.

Too much water under the bridge now. The only thing left is to kill them all children, mommas, babies, pregnant women. Are you up for it?

As a Christian, no.

"In God We Trust" is the official motto of the United States, and despite claims to the contrary by the ill-informed, courts have ruled that it is non-coercive, therefore, does not "force" anything on anybody. Just how easily can a person be persuaded, one who claims to feel "forced" to belief in God simply because they see the national motto written on a vehicle? We see the motto every day on our currency, and I don't feel forced to accept the sentiment expressed by it.

To somehow equate the national motto to Jihad is really a stretch, don't you think? Now, if our motto is "Off With Their Heads", I might agree that it could influence some weak-minded individuals to consider the motto as coercive.

Some have unsuccessfully challenged "In God We Trust" as a violation of the establishment clause of the First Amendment. The motto does not encourage nor establish a religious denomination. It means the same thing to a Christian as it does to a Jew or a Mennonite or a Muslim, so how can it be considered offensive?

The motto simply acknowledges that this great nation was established by people who trusted in God. After all, that is the purpose of a motto, isn't it?

"In God We Trust" works well for Muslims, Jews as well as Christians (although Wiccans may prefer "god and goddess"). All those who have a supreme being in their beliefs will just attach that supreme being to the word "God". It's a motto that was adopted in the mid 1950s. It was an in-your-face kind of thing to show we aren't like those heathen communists. I've noticed that since the motto was adopted and has been out there for everyone who uses money to see, our people have a much better attitude, we are a more peaceful and united country. Adding it to vehicles should keep the trend going don't you think?

Although I've heard it said that it is a patriotic motto and not a religious one, it makes me wonder who ties the word God to something that isn't religious?

Personally I always liked the phrase, E pluribus unum. That just really tells the story of our country to me.

Our forefathers worked pretty hard to word our constitution in a way that protected us from an oppressive government. They don't even mention God in the constitution. They wanted to keep this country from becoming a Church of England set up. A government that told us who to worship, when to worship, or that we had to worship. Our constitution has protected our religious freedoms and kept us from being like many of these countries we want no part of... yet many people, because they think that opening the door to more religion in our government means that it will always be a Christian religion, don't seem to see the danger in that.

Since I believe in God, and know that those who were in charge of this decision believe in the same God I do... are of the same Christian religion I am... then I guess all should be good with me.... for now.
    Last edited by Julie; 11-05-2015 at 06:07 PM.

What is the purpose of this craze all of a sudden? Is it a protectant for police during these times of anti law enforcement sentiment? Why not on postal jeeps too?
    These little trifle fads remind me of the Bush flag waving days a few years back.
    Kill them ragheads. We can all see the huge mess that frenzy has evolved into.
    Last edited by MiraculousMutha; 11-05-2015 at 10:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MiraculousMutha View Post
    What is the purpose of this craze all of a sudden? Is it a protectant for police during these times of anti law enforcement sentiment? Why not on postal jeeps too?
    These little trifle fads remind me of the Bush flag waving days a few years back.
    Kill them ragheads. We can all see the huge mess that frenzy has evolved into.
    We are not the ones beheading people, think of it as a way of reminding others just who we are.
    And it is individual Cities, County depts, people & organization's doing this.
    Not the Feds, that is run by a raghead.

The ratification clause of the U.S. Constitution, Article VII, was signed and designated "In the Year of Our Lord, 1787". You will also note, I'm sure, that in the Declaration of Independence (an equally important document in the founding of our country), God is mentioned four times! Not only that, but it expressly says that our rights come from our Creator.

Police are charged with the duty to preserve, protect, and defend the Constitution and the rights that God has given us. Isn't it, therefore, appropriate for them to say, "In God We Trust"?

Those with Bush or Cruz stickers on their car get warning tickets and I get an expensive citation because an officer didn't like my Hillary sticker.

Quote Originally Posted by MiraculousMutha View Post
    Those with Bush or Cruz stickers on their car get warning tickets and I get an expensive citation because an officer didn't like my Hillary sticker.
    You should know better than to put a political sticker on a vehicle. You might as well be waving your middle finger at a stranger.
    Here in Dallas it may get you holes in your vehicle by either side.

This time next year there may be blood in the streets.
    Last edited by mingus108; 11-07-2015 at 10:40 PM.

We don't have that here in Eastland County.
    Do we have better law enforcement or better people?
    Better churches? Better food? Better drugs?

You don't have a gay female Hispanic Sheriff running a Sanctuary County.
    Or black County commissars like John Wily Price with a gay County judge that is a real fruit fly
    Please do not get me started on the City Council or our elected State & Federal hopeless cases.
    By just living in Dallas County you become an expert on crooks.
    Last edited by mingus108; 11-08-2015 at 09:40 AM.

The ratification clause of the U.S. Constitution, Article VII, was signed and designated "In the Year of Our Lord, 1787". You will also note, I'm sure, that in the Declaration of Independence (an equally important document in the founding of our country), God is mentioned four times! Not only that, but it expressly says that our rights come from our Creator.

Police are charged with the duty to preserve, protect, and defend the Constitution and the rights that God has given us. Isn't it, therefore, appropriate for them to say, "In God We Trust"?
    I am a Christian. I believe in God... but the defensiveness and hostility I sense from much of the "Christian" conversations I read these days, saddens me deeply. The anti-Christian conversations sadden me also, but I'm not a part of that group and prefer to reach the anti-Christian rather than inflame them. I never thought Christianity was about exclusivity. I didn't think it was about pushing others away or doing things that would offend. I want to be part of a movement that welcomes all. I want to be the type of person that when others see me, they wonder what's going on that makes me so happy. A religious conversation is kind of like cologne... you want enough to make people want to get closer... not so much that they can't stand in the same room with you.

I just don't understand the thought behind adding the logo. What is the purpose really? Why did it suddenly become the thing to do? Is it a Christian decision, a patriotic decision? Does it have an evangelical purpose? Is it being done to unite all citizens and municipal/county officials/law enforcement? If a city doesn't approve putting that on their vehicles, does that mean they are anti-Christian (kinda like Starbuck being anti-Christian because they don't have any snowmen on their cups this year).

Long hours at watch, long hours by themselves lead to deep thoughts to why am I in this rut.
    Its not the Cities, I would look at the Depts doing it because they can.

Julie, the thought behind adding that "logo" is found in the First Amendment to the United States Constitution. Don't just read the first part of the sentence... because the second part says "...nor prohibiting the free exercise thereof."

If the police want to put a "logo" on their vehicles, should the government prohibit that free exercise?

And no, Christianity isn't about exclusion. It also isn't about giving up our rights simply because someone is offended and wants to cut our head off. Christians are instructed to boldly proclaim the gospel and our faith (Ephesians 6:18-20). Surely you're not saying we should keep our mouths shut?

Julie, the thought behind adding that "logo" is found in the First Amendment to the United States Constitution. Don't just read the first part of the sentence... because the second part says "...nor prohibiting the free exercise thereof."

If the police want to put a "logo" on their vehicles, should the government prohibit that free exercise?
    Since when do government entities have constitutional rights? Those rights are for the individual to protect them from government. You ask about the "police".. but you mean the police department. No one is prohibiting a police officer's right to put "In God We Trust" on their own personal vehicle.. on the front of their house.. tattooed on their person. A police department, city government, etc., is not an individual. It is not even a private industry. A law enforcement department is supposed to simply be an entity whose purpose is to serve and protect. It shouldn't be making religious statements.

The constitutional question has been, is this a religious statement? According to your response, the logo is indeed intended as a religious statement. If that is the case, then a government entity whose funding comes from "all" the citizens' tax dollars, shouldn't put "In God We Trust" on equipment that belongs to the tax payers.

And no, Christianity isn't about exclusion. It also isn't about giving up our rights simply because someone is offended and wants to cut our head off. Christians are instructed to boldly proclaim the gospel and our faith (Ephesians 6:18-20). Surely you're not saying we should keep our mouths shut?
    I never said we should keep our mouths shut. I certainly don't. I simply think the government needs to stay neutral on religious matters. And I think many Christians are doing more to divide us (interpret "us" however you want .. Christians or just people) than uniting us.

As an individual I have taken many an unpopular stand on things. I've hurt family member's feelings and probably some friends/acquaintances (although I don't work very hard to cultivate friendships so I don't have many of those to begin with.. lol)

I see a lot of things that have been accepted as the norm by society as things I can't condone... and I work hard to not cave in to the wishy-washy beliefs that I might hurt someone's feelings if I stand for my beliefs which may not line up with theirs. It is not my job to condemn others, but it is my job to avoid condoning those actions that are in contrast to a healthy society. To make a healthy society you have to start with children. So.. all my decisions are always based on what is best for the children. I'm not concerned with adults and their decisions unless it impacts the physical and mental health of children.

Our society's attitudes are heading us into some very deep trouble in the future, imo. The government can't fix it.. only individuals can. The government throwing religious logos on their vehicles isn't going to change our direction. As I said before, we've had it on our money for decades now and it's just been going down hill in many aspects since that time. It didn't help then, not gonna help now.

The "slippery slope" you see of losing our rights as Christians if we don't get to put these logos on vehicles, is a different "slippery slope" in my eyes. It is the danger of allowing our government to decide what religion we must follow. The majority are Christian now so if it is a Christian based decision by the government, everything is hunky dory (unless you are from a minority religion that isn't Christian). What happens if that majority changes? What if it were the Christians who were in the minority. What if the logo said in "In Allah we Trust"? Would you still see things the same? Don't give me that our government was based on Christian principals. Because we don't allow killing people (unless we deem them needing killing) is the same principal a lot of religions and countries have.

Protect my religious freedoms and do not allow the government to prohibit me from free exercise thereof. Keep government entities neutral on religion.

Are you offended by "In God We Trust" on government-issued currency? Does a police department have the same "rights" or authority as the U.S. Treasury? Or are they somehow an inferior entity, therefore, they cannot use the words that are on our currency. As for the tax-payer funded equipment... remember, it is paid for with pieces of paper that say "In God We Trust".

I fail to understand WHY Christian values are constantly under attack. You know, if a person doesn't like the phrase, they don't have to look at it. How is it being forced upon you or prohibiting you from the free exercise of your beliefs? It's a two-way street!

Should we also prohibit government entities from exercising the "Golden Rule"? Luke 6:31 and Matthew 7:12... do unto others as you would have them do unto you. Should our police officers be prohibited from exhibiting Christian values in their interaction with others for fear of "pushing their religious beliefs" on the unsuspecting public?

Why are we finding fault in the actions of the police departments when our federal government is destroying this nation? Courts have long held that "In God We Trust" is not allowing our government to decide what religion we must follow. Far from it!

We can cater to those who wish to destroy us, or we can take a stand for the principles upon which this nation was founded. Like it or not, our Founding Fathers made no effort to divorce themselves from their religious beliefs and there is no good reason for us to do otherwise.

I'm sick and tired of the preaching of "tolerance" for those whose goal is the destruction of the United States of America, and "In God We Trust" is a symbol of standing firm against our enemies. Right on, EPD!

How is a bumper sticker forcing God on someone? I read all manner of profanity on bumper stickers and no one is forcing that on me. Bible also says we are a light on a hill, not one hidden under a basket.

"In God we trust" does not in any way force a religion on anyone. To me, it is a motto stating the belief in a higher being. All religions believe in a higher being and for non-believers, it should be nothing more than reading an unwanted email or those posts on Facebook that you do not agree with. What really is the difference? If our national motto is embossed on our currency, state and local governments should not be banned from placing it on their vehicles. Now, if the motto itself is offensive to enough people and there is a petition to change the motto, or leave it alone, that would be a complete different argument.

I agree with Julie, it is easy to look at it one way when you are in the majority, but hard to accept when you are in the minority. Just because a minority may be offended by the display of our national motto on police vehicles, does not justify a change. If the offended people wish to have it taken off the vehicles, they shouldn't petition such a small aspect of the display. If it is offensive to enough people, take it off our currency, ban it from any public display. I would have a complete different opinion if the vehicles displayed, "Christianity is the only acknowledged religion", or, "only Christians go to heaven". or, "Jews, the chosen ones". See the difference?

Julie's opinion holds more weight when talking about religion being taught or promoted in schools. I personally would have no problem with my grandchildren being taught Christianity in school, but others may. Living in an area that Christianity is dominant makes it easy to say, "No problem." On the other hand, if Islam becomes the majority in any school district, I would oppose the teaching. You can't have it both ways. Either live by and accept the 1st Amendment, or be convinced that the 1st Amendment only applies to Christians.
    Murphy was an optimist!