Thread: Courthouse Christmas lights

Courthouse Christmas lights

I haven't asked anyone and don't know what the future plans are and I love what James, Daniel and the other volunteers have done over the last couple of years with the downtown Christmas lights.. but.... I wonder what happened to the courthouse lights that used to outline the very top of it.. and the blob (star, I think) that was on the top? Since we can't have the draping red lights from the top of the courthouse down to the outer side of the streets around the square anymore, it would be nice to at least keep the top of the courthouse lit up. You can see the top of the courthouse from I-20 and I remember always coming in on I-20 from visiting Dallas and seeing that courthouse all lit up. Maybe next year.

I really missed the red lights. ((((sigh))))
    Walk softly and carry a big stick.

It's a cryin shame that they, whomever they are, did away with the red lights that draped to form a bell!
    Don't ask the Lord to guide your footsteps if you're not willing to move your feet.

The red lights were done away when whoever decided to put those neat looking street lights around the square. I do like them a whole lot better than those old ugly ones that hung out over the street, however, they can't support the Christmas lights that used to swoop down from the courthouse to the street lights. That's why they had to do away with them. I wonder, however, if it's possible to put some sort of post or poll in the flowerbed area next to the trees that have outlets in them. Lights could run from courthouse top to those poles? All it takes is someone's money, time and someone to install them and take them down every year. I'm sure there may have also been an issue with getting the highway department to allow them to cross a highway overhead like that. I would assume that each year you would have to get permission from them and heaven forbid if one of those light strings fell. It was certainly cool when you could see the Christmas lights on the courthouse coming in from the east on I-20, but I guess the draping lights' days are gone. I would like to see more lights up on the top part of the courthouse... again.. all it takes is money and a lot of someone's time!

Quote Originally Posted by Gearldean View Post
    It's a cryin shame that they, whomever they are, did away with the red lights that draped to form a bell!
    Probably a college boy.

"...democracy must be more than what the majority insists upon."
    Barack Obama, The Audacity of Hope

Quote Originally Posted by Gearldean View Post
    I didn't realize that was supposed to take the form of a bell. I thought it was just lights draped from the courthouse out across the main streets surrounding the courthouse. There was a blob on top of the courthouse for a few years. I think it was supposed to be some sort of a star maybe? but it just looked like a blob of lights to me. I think they changed it for something that looked more star like. I don't guess they have anything up there now.