Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 100 of 118

Thread: High Electric Bill

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    1,974

    High Electric Bill

    I got my new electric bill in today.....$417.00. I almost passed out. I don't know what to do, cause I can't go without air because of the baby. He is VERY VERY hot natured. We already have the thermostat set to 76-78, after I got this bill I turned it up to 80. We keep the ceiling fans going to circulate the cool air. This bill is going to kill me and it's not even August yet!!!!! Any suggestions besides gettin an extra job and does anyone else have this problem????

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    291

    Re: High Electric Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by sage
    I got my new electric bill in today.....$417.00. I almost passed out. I don't know what to do, cause I can't go without air because of the baby. He is VERY VERY hot natured. We already have the thermostat set to 76-78, after I got this bill I turned it up to 80. We keep the ceiling fans going to circulate the cool air. This bill is going to kill me and it's not even August yet!!!!! Any suggestions besides gettin an extra job and does anyone else have this problem????
    yes, my bill is high also. I conserve energy where ever i can. Knowing the bill is going to be high also limits other things in my budget so I will be able to pay . Its the pits!! Electricity is just high!! like gasoline!!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    4,230

    Re: High Electric Bill

    One thing we did is change all of our light bulbs to 40 watt. I have no lights on during the day, I open blinds. This dropped ours about 75 bucks. Hope it helps.

  4. #4

    Re: High Electric Bill

    Upgrade insulation, stop air infiltration, increase attic ventilation and shade. Shade can be a tough one if you don’t already have it. Solar shade cloth on the South and West facing windows is the next best thing. Oh, and a white roof too.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    596

    Re: High Electric Bill

    I only run my ac when I am home, it takes the house about 30-40 min to cool off. I have the window unit not central and I keep the thermostat low, fans in every room but I dont have a baby to keep cool either, windows open when possible , its not been that hot to me ......yet
    God answers knee mail

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    9,667

    Re: High Electric Bill

    I guess I should give thanks for my $87 electric bill.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    616

    Re: High Electric Bill

    Go with a less expensive electric company. PM me and I'll give you more info.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    1,572

    Re: High Electric Bill

    theres LOTS of people that aren't to happy with their high electric bills....first gas and now electric. Guess it'll be water next that goes up....
    I've recently switched to another electric company. I haven't received a bill from them yet but from what i've been hearing they're alot cheaper and it didn't cost me anything to switch over. PM me if you'd like more info....

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    7,354

    Re: High Electric Bill

    Thank the Lord that the temp is dropping into the 60's at night this week...

  10. #10

    Re: High Electric Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by I SPIN
    I only run my ac when I am home, it takes the house about 30-40 min to cool off. I have the window unit not central and I keep the thermostat low, fans in every room but I dont have a baby to keep cool either, windows open when possible , its not been that hot to me ......yet

    But it costs more to re-cool the house each time. You acutally use less if you leave the ac unit on and just adjust the thermostate for when you're home or not.
    Obama did it.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    1,974

    Re: High Electric Bill

    Thanks everybody for your suggestions. We did all those things when I was pregnant and all was good, but you kinda have to be extra cautious with a little one. We adjust the thermostat when we leave, well I should say I adjust it. My hubby says that it costs more to leave the ac on then to recool the house, so thank you TexasT for agreeing with me!!! I tell him that all the time. MsBizzyBody and joey, hubby has been thinking about switching. I'll let him know and contact you guys.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    596

    Re: High Electric Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by TexasT
    But it costs more to re-cool the house each time. You acutally use less if you leave the ac unit on and just adjust the thermostate for when you're home or not.
    Not true I have tried both ways Open windows and in the shade trees
    cost less than running the ac all day (if I am away all day)

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    596

    Re: High Electric Bill

    My house is small though!!!

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    434

    Re: High Electric Bill

    I got on average bill plan. My electric bill would have been 278.00 but on the plan it is only 108.00. I pay about the same all year round. It really helped this month with be being off work.
    When you get the chance to sit it out or dance......I hope you dance

  15. #15

    Re: High Electric Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by sage
    ...My hubby says that it costs more to leave the ac on then to recool the house, so thank you TexasT for agreeing with me!!! I tell him that all the time...
    You're both right. Assuming your system is of adequate capacity and condition to re-cool the house, you can turn it up 5 or 6 degrees when you're not there and save some money. Keep in mind though, when the house is 90 degrees inside, not just the air is hot. The furniture, appliances, walls, dogs and folks are all hot and you have to remove the heat from all of them and that may not happen until well after dark.

    Did I ever mention that in a previous past life I actually had a license to steal? (aka Texas Air Conditioning License)

    I would estimate that in 10 years of service calls, 75% of the systems I worked on were over-charged with refrigerant when I got there. Probably 80% had their indoor blower speed set to HI when Med would have been the better choice. Over-charged will really makes the compressor work hard and it reduces the overall cooling capacity.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    26,550

    Re: High Electric Bill

    Hum...this is good to know George...how do you get it charged right after it is overcharged? I think this may very well have been the problem on my brand new unit.

  17. #17

    Re: High Electric Bill

    The short answer is; let some refrigerant out until the return gas temperature, measured at the compressor with an accurate thermometer, is sufficiently cool enough to cool the compressor but no more.

    Around here that means the big pipe needs to sweat just about all the way up to the compressor but the compressor should not sweat. The compressor will be hot to the touch but should not burn you when you touch it.

    At technician who uses only gauges can get it in the ballpark almost every time. However, most systems will cool fairly well from about 10% undercharged to about 10% overcharged. Sometimes he will be dead on, others he can miss by 10-15% and the system will still cool, just not as efficiently as it could.

    Do not try this at home.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    18,406

    Re: High Electric Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by curious_george
    The short answer is; let some refrigerant out until the return gas temperature, measured at the compressor with an accurate thermometer, is sufficiently cool enough to cool the compressor but no more.

    Around here that means the big pipe needs to sweat just about all the way up to the compressor but the compressor should not sweat. The compressor will be hot to the touch but should not burn you when you touch it.

    At technician who uses only gauges can get it in the ballpark almost every time. However, most systems will cool fairly well from about 10% undercharged to about 10% overcharged. Sometimes he will be dead on, others he can miss by 10-15% and the system will still cool, just not as efficiently as it could.

    Do not try this at home.
    What's the long answer?

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Iran
    Posts
    6,090

    Re: High Electric Bill


  20. #20

    Re: High Electric Bill

    Our bill was terrible as well. We are on TXU's average billing so that helped, but still-BAD; one thing due to being total electric. I've talked to friends who have switched providers and they are having high bills as well, and these providers arent living up to what they told the customers-it's higher. Everyone's bill will differ, but how do you know what is best? And is it true TXU will be more prompt in answering calls for instance, in storms or emergncies?

  21. #21

    Re: High Electric Bill

    TXU, or ONCOR as their delivery service is called, is still responsible for electricity delivery to your home, no matter who you pay for the electricity. So in the even of an outage I think you would still call ONCOR.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    616

    Re: High Electric Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by whereismygal
    Our bill was terrible as well. We are on TXU's average billing so that helped, but still-BAD; one thing due to being total electric. I've talked to friends who have switched providers and they are having high bills as well, and these providers arent living up to what they told the customers-it's higher. Everyone's bill will differ, but how do you know what is best? And is it true TXU will be more prompt in answering calls for instance, in storms or emergncies?
    TXU delivery is the one to service the lines no matter what company you purchase the electricity from!

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Iran
    Posts
    6,090

    Re: High Electric Bill

    There is no such thing as ONCOR anymore. It is all TXU Electric Delivery.

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    1,281

    Re: High Electric Bill

    I have decided to just go naked, open all the windows and doors, only eat cold things this summer...Not only will this save on having to do dishes, the electric bill, I will no longer have to wash clothes...as an extra perk...Those pesky door to door salesmen never come back...not to mention that it has been a great deterent to anyone thinking about breaking in and robbing me!
    "The enclosed comments do not reflect the opinions of the staff, owners or advertisiers of any business establishment JoHo works for, has worked for, will work for or is considering working for, or has ever been considered as potentitally working for..."

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    S/E of Ranger.
    Posts
    2,484

    Re: High Electric Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by JoHo
    I have decided to just go naked, open all the windows and doors, only eat cold things this summer...Not only will this save on having to do dishes, the electric bill, I will no longer have to wash clothes...as an extra perk...Those pesky door to door salesmen never come back...not to mention that it has been a great deterent to anyone thinking about breaking in and robbing me!
    jus`a passin`thru

  26. #26
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    235

    Re: High Electric Bill

    You can change your electrice service to one that offers a lower rate. There are many out there but make sure that you look for a company that is retail electricity provider or REP. That means they buy from the same place that TXU, CPL, WTU, ect. does. There are many different companies out there but only a few are REP.

    If you PM me I can tell you more.

  27. #27
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    7,354

    Re: High Electric Bill

    TXU and Comanche County both have lines running in front of my house...I'll stay with Comanche County because they answer their telephone when I call...and not some robot...and, they draft my checking account without a charge...

  28. #28
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    235

    Re: High Electric Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by june
    TXU and Comanche County both have lines running in front of my house...I'll stay with Comanche County because they answer their telephone when I call...and not some robot...and, they draft my checking account without a charge...
    If you are with comanche county co-op you can't choose even if you wanted to.

  29. #29
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    26,550

    Re: High Electric Bill

    Comanche County are just good people. I have been very impressed with their customer service....and my bill isn't bad either.

  30. #30
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    5,432

    Re: High Electric Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by lucy
    There is no such thing as ONCOR anymore. It is all TXU Electric Delivery.
    Not for long...http://www.topix.net/content/kri/097...47101528817471

  31. #31
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Iran
    Posts
    6,090

    Re: High Electric Bill

    I know all about it. My husband works for TXU.

  32. #32
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    5,432

    Re: High Electric Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by lucy
    I know all about it. My husband works for TXU.
    If he works (worked) for TXUED, you'll have to get used to saying he works for InfrastruX.

    Who thinks of these names? First Oncor, now this?

  33. #33
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Iran
    Posts
    6,090

    Re: High Electric Bill

    Wise asses like you, I guess!

  34. #34

    Re: High Electric Bill

    Average billing is the way to go.....
    "Friends are these people who ask you how you are and wait for an answer."

  35. #35
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    3,003

    Re: High Electric Bill

    At least I could pronounce Oncor. LOL
    The eyes believe themselves--The ears believe other people.

  36. #36
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    4,577

    Re: High Electric Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by JoHo
    I have decided to just go naked, open all the windows and doors, only eat cold things this summer...Not only will this save on having to do dishes, the electric bill, I will no longer have to wash clothes...as an extra perk...Those pesky door to door salesmen never come back...not to mention that it has been a great deterent to anyone thinking about breaking in and robbing me!

    Why did I have to read your post? Why oh why oh why?

  37. #37
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    4,230

    Re: High Electric Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by JoHo
    I have decided to just go naked, open all the windows and doors, only eat cold things this summer...Not only will this save on having to do dishes, the electric bill, I will no longer have to wash clothes...as an extra perk...Those pesky door to door salesmen never come back...not to mention that it has been a great deterent to anyone thinking about breaking in and robbing me!
    I love it! Talk about great solutions.

  38. #38
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    139

    Question Re: High Electric Bill

    Is TXU name changing to this new name Infra????, just curious as I didn't read the article that way therefore if not why is "rme" being rude to Lucy about TXU as all she said was her husband works for TXU????? , or did I read all of it incorrectly?

  39. #39
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    213

    Re: High Electric Bill

    At one time ,I was turning off the electric hot water heater at the end of the day and just having it on during the hours that I knew we would need it. That way it is not continuously reheating the full tank. That is more helpful in the winter than now. My dryer is electric so lately I hang clothes on the line. The smell is wonderful and the dryer is not running up my bill. I am constantly trying to find new ways to lower all of the utilities.

  40. #40
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    1,876

    Re: High Electric Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by memaw
    Is TXU name changing to this new name Infra????, just curious as I didn't read the article that way therefore if not why is "rme" being rude to Lucy about TXU as all she said was her husband works for TXU????? , or did I read all of it incorrectly?
    I didn't think rme was being rude...
    Warning: The above post probably contains sarcasm.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

  41. #41
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Iran
    Posts
    6,090

    Re: High Electric Bill

    TXU and Infrastrux is going 50/50 with the company. Whatever that means! Now, we won't know which company he will work for until July 31.
    Right now I am just concentrating on getting over my surgery and will deal with the name change later.

  42. #42
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    5,432

    Re: High Electric Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by lucy
    Wise asses like you, I guess!
    I haven't a clue what prompted this response, but I will resist the temptation to respond in kind.

    TXU is an employer in this town, as well as being a service provider to many of us. I thought others would be interested in knowing about this joint venture.

    Whatever your problem is, I suggest you get over it.

    When I decide to be a wiseass, you will absolutely know it.

  43. #43

    Re: High Electric Bill

    Le growl, le grimace, le mew...

  44. #44
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    5,432

    Re: High Electric Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by memaw
    Is TXU name changing to this new name Infra????, just curious as I didn't read the article that way therefore if not why is "rme" being rude to Lucy about TXU as all she said was her husband works for TXU????? , or did I read all of it incorrectly?
    Memaw, please tell me precisely what I said that you consider to be rude?

  45. #45
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    18,406

    Re: High Electric Bill

    I just put my book down, this is gettin' good..

  46. #46
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    5,432

    Re: High Electric Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by cyotefishing
    I just put my book down, this is gettin' good..
    Don't lose track of where you are in the book. I doubt this will go far.

  47. #47
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    18,406

    Re: High Electric Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by rme
    Don't lose track of where you are in the book. I doubt this will go far.
    Never underestimate Luce, I do have a bookmark..I think your just POed because she called you a , goodness forbid, "wise ass"..

  48. #48
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    18,406

    Re: High Electric Bill

    see, I'm brushing up on not using "profanity"..

  49. #49
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    5,432

    Re: High Electric Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by cyotefishing
    Never underestimate Luce, I do have a bookmark..
    I don't underestimate anyone. Similarly, I don't overestimate anyone. I just go with what thay say. That is what has me mystified by the responses by Lucy and Memaw. Although, Memaw did say she couldn't be bothered to actually read what I posted.

    Oh well...

  50. #50
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    26,550

    Re: High Electric Bill

    TY cy!!! kiss kiss

  51. #51
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    18,406

    Re: High Electric Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by rme
    I don't underestimate anyone. Similarly, I don't overestimate anyone. I just go with what thay say. That is what has me mystified by the responses by Lucy and Memaw. Although, Memaw did say she couldn't be bothered to actually read what I posted.

    Oh well...
    I think Lucy had some sort of surgery and her ol man works for TXU or whatever it is..

  52. #52
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    5,432

    Re: High Electric Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by cyotefishing
    see, I'm brushing up on not using "profanity"..
    And a fine job you're doing. Somehow, I get the feeling you don't need the shock value to make your point.

    Now, if you'd stop editing your posts while I'm responding to them...

  53. #53
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    18,406

    Re: High Electric Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by rme
    And a fine job you're doing. Somehow, I get the feeling you don't need the shock value to make your point.

    Now, if you'd stop editing your posts while I'm responding to them...
    Bet you'd like to hear I am scratching the monitor like a rabid Siamese cat..

  54. #54
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    5,432

    Re: High Electric Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by cyotefishing
    I think Lucy had some sort of surgery and her ol man works for TXU or whatever it is..
    So, I point out that TXUED is now part of a joint venture, and I'm a "wise ass"?

    You'll have connect the dots on that one for me.

    (Pain medicine?)

  55. #55
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    5,432

    Re: High Electric Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by cyotefishing
    Bet you'd like to hear I am scratching the monitor like a rabid Siamese cat..
    What a rich mental picture that is.

  56. #56
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    18,406

    Re: High Electric Bill

    I'm sure her hubby has worked for TXU for a great period of time and like all else the corperate buy outs suck. They may be good, guess...but when you work for company for so long your proud to be with them and the name change sucks (is awful/terrible)..I think Luce may take your comments personnally...I only edit cause if I don't I'm fixin' to get it..

  57. #57
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    1,988

    Re: High Electric Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by morninglory
    At one time ,I was turning off the electric hot water heater at the end of the day and just having it on during the hours that I knew we would need it. That way it is not continuously reheating the full tank. That is more helpful in the winter than now. My dryer is electric so lately I hang clothes on the line. The smell is wonderful and the dryer is not running up my bill. I am constantly trying to find new ways to lower all of the utilities.
    you can add a timer to the water heater also so that it cuts it off and on

    it has helped us a little

  58. #58
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    18,406

    Re: High Electric Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by unicorn
    you can add a timer to the water heater also so that it cuts it off and on

    it has helped us a little
    I might want to take a shower longer than you? What if I forget?

  59. #59
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    5,432

    Re: High Electric Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by cyotefishing
    I'm sure her hubby has worked for TXU for a great period of time and like all else the corperate buy outs suck. They may be good, guess...but when you work for company for so long your proud to be with them and the name change sucks (is awful/terrible)..I think Luce may take your comments personnally...I only edit cause if I don'e I'm fixin' to get it..
    No, not at all. This isn't a buyout. It is a joint venture between TXU and another established company. TXU's cost to design and build infrastructure is large. They end up using the predecessor companies to InfrastruX to do much of the construction. It makes sense to spread this cost over a larger base.

    I have a vested interest in TXU's success also. It's just not as obvious as Lucy's husband's.

    Guess I'll get on with dealing with the name change.

  60. #60
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    5,432

    Re: High Electric Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by rme
    Guess I'll get on with dealing with the name change.
    And the name calling...

  61. #61
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    1,988

    Re: High Electric Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by cyotefishing
    I might want to take a shower longer than you? What if I forget?
    i have the timer set to come on at 4p.m then go off at 10 p.m.

    by then we all have had enough time but if not i can override the

    timmer

  62. #62
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    139

    Lightbulb Re: High Electric Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by rme
    I don't underestimate anyone. Similarly, I don't overestimate anyone. I just go with what thay say. That is what has me mystified by the responses by Lucy and Memaw. Although, Memaw did say she couldn't be bothered to actually read what I posted.

    Oh well...


    Excuse me "rme", memaw said what? Where & when did I say I couldn't be bothered to actually read what you posted?? I do not believe I said that nor do I approve of you quoting that I did!!!! In my post I just thought you came off a bit rude & obviously that is my opinion but you do need to clear up this crap you said I said, I don't even know you & don't think I care to however I do not allow people to put words in my mouth.

  63. #63
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    5,432

    Re: High Electric Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by memaw
    Is TXU name changing to this new name Infra????, just curious as I didn't read the article that way therefore if not why is "rme" being rude to Lucy about TXU as all she said was her husband works for TXU????? , or did I read all of it incorrectly?
    Oh, sorry. I read sloppily. Read as in past tense. I missed the words bolded above. But, I'll contend that you did read incorrectly, as I was not rude to Lucy (at least not until she called me a "wise ass").

    So, why did you accuse me of being rude?

  64. #64
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    18,406

    Re: High Electric Bill

    The drama....

  65. #65
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    2,417

    Re: High Electric Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo
    Average billing is the way to go.....
    We did average billing with WTU for year andhalf. Then when we moved we got screwed. I will never do that again. Now they say we owe them $1700.00 for 3 months. There is no way. We are fighting it.

    Needless to say we changed companies.

  66. #66
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    18,406

    Re: High Electric Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by Texas H Kennels
    We did average billing with WTU for year andhalf. Then when we moved we got screwed. I will never do that again. Now they say we owe them $1700.00 for 3 months. There is no way. We are fighting it.

    Needless to say we changed companies.
    get ready to ROLLLLL...

  67. #67
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    5,432

    Re: High Electric Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by cyotefishing
    The drama....
    Not bad for a thread without witchcraft, wiccans, fire spinning, divorce, Cisco, Ranger, or politics. No liberals, no conservatives. No Ann Coulter, no Rush Limpbaugh.

    Hey, why are we here?

  68. #68
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    18,406

    Re: High Electric Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by rme
    Not bad for a thread without witchcraft, wiccans, fire spinning, divorce, Cisco, Ranger, or politics. No liberals, no conservatives. No Ann Coulter, no Rush Limpbaugh.

    Hey, why are we here?
    your toooo good RME,,gotta luv ya dude..probably juz lost Luce as a cyber friend but she knows i luvz her...your right about the a forementioned BS..give us a break!!!

  69. #69
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    5,432

    Re: High Electric Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by cyotefishing
    your toooo good RME,,gotta luv ya dude..probably juz lost Luce as a cyber friend but she knows i luvz her...your right about the a forementioned BS..give us a break!!!
    Oh, but did you miss the Rush/Viagra reference?

  70. #70
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    18,406

    Re: High Electric Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by rme
    Oh, but did you miss the Rush/Viagra reference?
    refresh my memory? lol

  71. #71
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    4,669

    Re: High Electric Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by Gearldean
    I guess I should give thanks for my $87 electric bill.
    Gearldean tell us the truth ( How good looking is that Elect. man )
    my bill was One Hundred an eighty three $$$$ .....

  72. #72
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    5,432

    Re: High Electric Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by cyotefishing
    refresh my memory? lol
    Rush Limpbaugh

    But, credit goes to Jay Leno.

    I stole it.

  73. #73
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    26,550

    Re: High Electric Bill

    I think this thread just went to pg 13

  74. #74
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    18,406

    Re: High Electric Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by rme
    Rush Limpbaugh

    But, credit goes to Jay Leno.

    I stole it.
    Don't ever get on my ass for typos again..

  75. #75
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    5,432

    Re: High Electric Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by Miss Mally
    I think this thread just went to pg 13
    No, I just checked. It's just pg. 4 as of now. More posts will change that.

  76. #76
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    26,550

    Re: High Electric Bill

    roflol

    I will get you for that one....mr cool

  77. #77
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    18,406

    Re: High Electric Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by rme
    Rush Limpbaugh

    But, credit goes to Jay Leno.

    I stole it.
    limp, to walk with a labored, jerky movement, to progress slowly and with difficulty
    lacking stiffness or firmness
    not stiff or rigid.

  78. #78
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    9,667

    Re: High Electric Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by eggbeater
    Gearldean tell us the truth ( How good looking is that Elect. man )
    my bill was One Hundred an eighty three $$$$ .....
    I couldn't tell ya! I've never seen him!

    My house has a very high roof and it's well vented. I'm hot natured, too, so that helps.

  79. #79
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    8,695

    Re: High Electric Bill

    rme, you didn't say a thing out of place. I think Lucy is missing the attention she got in the hospital. This is the second time in as many days that someone has accused you of being rough. I just don't see that as the case. Thank you for your posts.
    Secretary,
    Harper Valley PTA

  80. #80
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    2,019

    Re: High Electric Bill

    When it comes time to replace an HVAC (heating, venting, air conditioning) system, always try to come up with a little more money and opt for a more efficient system.

    Back in the 1960s, the average unit had an SEER (efficiency rating) of around 4. In the 1970s, the average efficiency was around 5, although units as efficient as 7 were available for a little more money. By the 1980s, an efficiency of 7 was standard, and units as high as 10 were available at extra cost. In the early 1990s, an efficiency of 8 was standard, and by the late 90s, an efficiency of 10 was normal.

    My wife and I tour lots of homes under construction, or homes just completed and for sale. The normal efficiency of heat pumps in most new homes in the Atlanta area today (except those built under contract or to owner specs) is 10, with a few as high as 12.

    When we had to replace our SEER 7 heat pump about six years ago, we asked the contractor what was the highest SEER heat pump available. He said an 18 was available for 'just' $3,000 more than a 10. For us, $3,000 was a little more than 'just'. But we thought long and hard about this. We have no shade on our home, and being a one-story home, we have a lot of roof getting direct sunlight all day.

    We finally bit the bullet, opted for the SEER 18, and our heating and cooling bills have easily been cut in half. It was a tough decision, but we have been very glad we went for the SEER 18. It has worked beautifully, and our painful heating and cooling bills of the 1990s are now just a memory. Yes, it has already paid the extra $3,000 back twice over.

    We find the use of ceiling fans (or even portable table fans if placed just right) enables us to set the thermostat a few degrees higher than would be comfortable without the fans. Even a very small fan which uses very little electricity makes a big difference if placed where you can feel the breeze.

    We also avoid using the oven in hot weather. That means lots of cool dishes, veggies, or foods heated on one eye of the stove.

    Those homes with windows using single pane glass would see a benefit from using double-paned glass (sealed with an inert gas between the glass layers), especially on windows exposed to the sun. Some really upscale homes we see are now using triple pane glass.

    Good insulation in the attic is critical. Also, good venting of the attic can make a difference. Either a built-in (as the home is constructed) roof crest vent, several heat-driven turbines (can be added to existing homes), or a few thermostat-controlled power ventilators (can also be added) will lower the attic temperature considerably, and this usually helps the central system to keep the home cooler.

    Many homes have an attic fan for pushing hot inside air into the attic and drawing cooler air from outside into the home. These work best late at night, when the outside air has cooled down. They would work better in Eastland than Atlanta, because the outside air in Atlanta is very slow to cool because of the obscene humidity. And one doesn't want very humid air drawn into the home anyway.

    Several years ago, many electrical product companies came out with ultra-high efficiency light bulbs. They cost around $20 apiece at that time, and my wife and I just looked wistfully at them and continued to buy the old style ones for a buck each.

    But these ultra-high efficiency bulbs are now guaranteed for from five to seven years use, and the price has come way down. A few months ago, we happened to hit a special sale at Target where they were being sold for $5.99 a pair. We stocked up by getting 16 100 watt bulbs and 12 75 watt bulbs.

    We aren't especially enamoured with the strange spiral shape of these high-efficiency bulbs, BUT: The bulbs that give 100 watts of light use only 26 watts of electricity, and the ones that give 75 watts of light use only 20 watts of electricity. As if that were not already a huge benefit, these bulbs also give off only a very small fraction of the heat given off by a regular light bulb. Sort of a 'win-win' situation.

    Someone else here mentioned a lighter roof. Lighter roofs are sometimes an eyesore if mildew is allowed to grow and spread on them, but are very definitely a help in reflecting much of the worst heat from the sun.

    When one gets out in the country, away from Atlanta, some old-timers who live in older homes with old/no air conditioning systems use external awnings over all windows the sun can hit. For large picture windows, one can have a professional put materials over the glass that reflect most of the outside heat without blocking the view out the window.

    Some electric companies have a higher rate for power during the 'peak' usage part of the day. For my power company, that is from 5PM to 8PM. I try to get the house cool before 5 and then ease up a little on the air conditioning beginning at that time.

    Some folks would benefit by reaching an agreement with the power company to pay so much a month year round, and avoid the back-breaking monster bills of summer.

    We are fortunate in that we have no homes near us, and have a long driveway with an 'intruder' alert. So, when at home, we can pretty much go with shorts and little else most of the hot part of the year. Although that ain't a pretty sight.

    But when it comes down to the nitty-gritty, it can get awfully hot in Texas, and power can be very expensive.

  81. #81
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    26,550

    Re: High Electric Bill

    Oh my....I was wondering where you were lion!!!! Great to see you!!!!!

  82. #82
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Iran
    Posts
    6,090

    Re: High Electric Bill

    I didn't stay in the hospital thank you very much and I only took 2 pain pills.
    What rme said about "who comes up with these names" just hit me the wrong way. When you have to put up with people and their rude behavior when they find out that your husband works for TXU, you get a little defensive. The man works his butt off to make a good living. He isn't the one that jacks your rates up and comes up with stupid company names.
    I make it a point never to bash someones place of employment. At least they (we)are making their (our) own living and not taking from the government tit!
    And yes, I know that TXU is a local employer. He worked there for 7 years before we moved.

  83. #83
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    1,281

    Talking Re: High Electric Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by lucy
    I didn't stay in the hospital thank you very much and I only took 2 pain pills.
    What rme said about "who comes up with these names" just hit me the wrong way. When you have to put up with people and their rude behavior when they find out that your husband works for TXU, you get a little defensive. The man works his butt off to make a good living. He isn't the one that jacks your rates up and comes up with stupid company names.
    I make it a point never to bash someones place of employment. At least they (we)are making their (our) own living and not taking from the government tit!
    And yes, I know that TXU is a local employer. He worked there for 7 years before we moved.
    I think those pills should have been for mood elevation...Lucy, come on! They were just joshing you. Lighten up! Have some fun with it. Tell people you get your energy for free. Tell them the new name for the company is on a need to know basis...and demand why they need to know and then tell them the new phone muber will be unlisted. Oh, tell them the new name is in Spanish, that should really get them started!
    I will tell you a funny story about the electric man. Years ago, in the middle of a rain storm in Eastland County, the power went down at the tower. It was cold, dark, rainy and the ground was soaked. I called the company, and they said I should meet their local guy at the tower. So, here I am, at the tower at ten at night, soaked to the skin, standing about ankle deep in my knee high rubber boots, holding a flash light, and freezing my potootie off. The TXU truck, or whatever the name was at the time, pulled up and the tech crossed the field to me. Poor man was slipping and sliding on the mud, I could tell how tired he must have been from responding to a whole county of people griping about their lights being off. Still, he got us up and running in just a few minutes. Then, as he stood there, watching me check lines, and lights, buttons and levels, switches and tubes, he just shook his head and said, "Lady, I wouldn't want your job for all the money in the world!"
    I cracked up, here he was dragging his butt after hours of fixing and repairing, listening to a hundred complaints, and he thought MY job was tough! And then, the nicest thing, he walked me to my car across that muddy field and waited until I was on the road before he left. He was a very nice man.
    Oh, Lucy, lighten up! (GET IT, YOUR HUSBAND WORKS FOR THE ELECTRIC COMPANY AND I TOLD YOU TO LIGHTEN UP!!!! SOMETIMES I CRACK ME UP!)

  84. #84
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Iran
    Posts
    6,090

    Re: High Electric Bill

    My husband may not have a job in a month. Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Hehehehehehehehehehehe. Oh you made me feel so much better JoHo!!!!!!!!!!!!!

  85. #85
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    9,667

    Re: High Electric Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by JoHo
    ....SOMETIMES I CRACK ME UP!)
    I thought you were already cracked. Well, half cracked. Errr...maybe I'm thinkin bout "half-baked".

  86. #86
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    9,667

    Re: High Electric Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by lucy
    My husband may not have a job in a month. Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Hehehehehehehehehehehe. Oh you made me feel so much better JoHo!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    It IS kinda hard to chuckle, under those circumstances!

  87. #87
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    5,432

    Re: High Electric Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by cyotefishing
    limp, to walk with a labored, jerky movement, to progress slowly and with difficulty
    lacking stiffness or firmness
    not stiff or rigid.
    Uhhh...right. I'm still not certain you're getting it. Do you know that Rush was arrested for possession of Viagra without a prescription? Hence the deliberate misspelling.

    Seriously.

  88. #88
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    5,432

    Re: High Electric Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by lucy
    My husband may not have a job in a month. Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Hehehehehehehehehehehe. Oh you made me feel so much better JoHo!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Out of about 3800 employees in TXUED, about 2000 will end up in the joint venture. About 1650 will remain with TXU. The estimate is that as many as 150 may be out of a job.

    I hope your husband isn't one of the few who will lose from this deal. He may be one who benefits, also. The venture appears to provide many opportunities. Time will tell.

    Either way, it's not my fault.

  89. #89
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    291

    Re: High Electric Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by rme
    Out of about 3800 employees in TXUED, about 2000 will end up in the joint venture. About 1650 will remain with TXU. The estimate is that as many as 150 may be out of a job.

    I hope your husband isn't one of the few who will lose from this deal. He may be one who benefits, also. The venture appears to provide many opportunities. Time will tell.

    Either way, it's not my fault.
    ease up you rude lingfist !!

  90. #90
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    5,432

    Re: High Electric Bill

    Expanding a bit on Lightonthehill's (Lightinthenight?) excellent post is the other side of the power equation. Heat. For those of us who don't have gas, electric heat is the order of the day. When I first bought my house, it had electric resistance heat. It was about as efficient as sticking paper clips in all the outlets.

    I converted it to a heat pump. In addition to seeing benefits on cooling, due to the higher efficiency rating, my heat bills were cut to almost half. A heat pump is basically an air conditioner that works in reverse. Rather than pumping heat out of the house, it extracts heat from the outside air, at temperatures down to about 35 degrees, and pumps it in.

    Here again, efficiency ratings are important.

  91. #91
    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    Gordon, Texas, United States
    Posts
    16,210

    Re: High Electric Bill

    I figure it's just like the phone bill deal... if you check across the board, they are all charging about the same when you get to the bottom line.

    My electric bill was about $160 this last month. I do not keep it very cool at all during the day. I have central A/C, but it doesn't cool the back part of my house very well at all. That room has west and east windows and I just think the sun on it all day is too much. But even at night that room doesn't get as cool as the front rooms. So I just moved out of that room. Just use it when company comes over.

    I am LOVING this 60 degree night time temp we have had the last few nights. No need to run the a/c then. Just open the windows and use those window fans if you need to. They're cheap.

  92. #92
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    5,432

    Re: High Electric Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by spin cycle
    ease up you rude lingfist !!
    Lingfist. Is that like Lutefisk?

    What's with you people and these Scandinavian references?

  93. #93
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    26,550

    Re: High Electric Bill

    Julie...you might try some solar panels...that block the heat and sunlight in those windows. We put some up...and they worked wonders at our house.

  94. #94
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    1,572

    Re: High Electric Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by Miss Mally
    Julie...you might try some solar panels...that block the heat and sunlight in those windows. We put some up...and they worked wonders at our house.
    what are solar panels miss mally???? where do you buy them?

  95. #95
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    26,550

    Re: High Electric Bill

    My mother in law got mine for me. I will have to find out where she bought them. They are silver shiny curtains...and they hang between your regular curtains and the window....shiney side out. You can see through them...but they block the heat from coming into the windows. They are wonderful.

  96. #96
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    291

    Re: High Electric Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by rme
    Lingfist. Is that like Lutefisk?

    What's with you people and these Scandinavian references?

    kinda,but no lye

  97. #97
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    291

    Re: High Electric Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by rme

    What's with you people and these Scandinavian references?
    Ok I will try english.

    We could all teach a class in garbology after reading spin. Some time I feel like I could defenstrate myself or others!! Some that claim to be digiteri really bother those that are. Many here are antipodes, and we should try to remember that or a hallux could be injured by stepping. some are so otiose that they should be made to walk on cullet. Not all can be as pellucid as you rme, but alas, I hear borborygmus noises and must leave.

    So, what do you think??

  98. #98
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    5,432

    Re: High Electric Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by spin cycle
    Ok I will try english.

    We could all teach a class in garbology after reading spin. Some time I feel like I could defenstrate myself or others!! Some that claim to be digiteri really bother those that are. Many here are antipodes, and we should try to remember that or a hallux could be injured by stepping. some are so otiose that they should be made to walk on cullet. Not all can be as pellucid as you rme, but alas, I hear borborygmus noises and must leave.

    So, what do you think??
    I think children should not be allowed to play with dangerous tools.

    Put down the thesauraus and step away from the keyboard. Keep your hands in sight at all times.

  99. #99
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    291

    Re: High Electric Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by rme
    I think children should not be allowed to play with dangerous tools.

    Put down the thesauraus and step away from the keyboard. Keep your hands in sight at all times.
    I knew you would like it!!

  100. #100
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    18,406

    Re: High Electric Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by rme
    Uhhh...right. I'm still not certain you're getting it. Do you know that Rush was arrested for possession of Viagra without a prescription? Hence the deliberate misspelling.

    Seriously.
    Well if you didn't go out of your way to play "grammar teach" I wouldn't be so d**n focused on your keyboard abilities and/or inabilities...

Similar Threads

  1. Wanna get rid of Intruders??
    By cyotefishing in forum What's On Your Mind?
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 11-17-2006, 10:13 PM
  2. reserves called back in
    By stillseventeen in forum What's On Your Mind?
    Replies: 104
    Last Post: 10-05-2006, 03:51 PM
  3. Winter Predictors
    By june in forum What's On Your Mind?
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 09-06-2006, 09:42 AM
  4. NASCAR!!!!
    By mwatson in forum What's On Your Mind?
    Replies: 147
    Last Post: 04-09-2006, 08:04 PM
  5. He works hard for his money. So hard for his money.
    By curious_george in forum What's On Your Mind?
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-07-2004, 05:12 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •